Saturday, July 25, 2026

Give up control and live

I am usually pretty indifferent about movies, but I watched The Odyssey twice in the course of three days last week, and I simply cannot stop thinking about it. It is a fantastic movie, and I highly recommend it! The story is not new to me, as I have read the epic poem by Homer and several adapted versions during the course of my life. There is a reason the story has endured for close to 3,000 years and that it continues to capture the imaginations of those who encounter it. And, in my opinion, Christopher Nolan's movie adaptation makes the story come alive in newly profound ways. It certainly has plenty of entertainment value, but for me, the real beauty of it is in the rich, thought-provoking themes that run throughout the story. I think we can all relate on some level to feeling like we've lost our way as we've been overwhelmed by obstacles on our quest to find a place that feels like home. 

Without giving too much away, the part of the movie that particularly grabbed my attention and has been living rent-free in my head is the part where Calypso is preparing to release Odysseus from her island and her enchantment. When Odysseus arrived on her island, he was unconscious, but his feverish mind was actively reminding him of his failures and disappointments. He dreaded trying to live up to a reputation he didn't believed he deserved. So he allowed his mind to be clouded and gave himself permission to forget lessons he learned through the trials he faced. He allowed himself to forget who he was and where he was from. He lost his purpose and his passion. But eventually the time comes for him to remember and to continue his journey back to himself. Just before he leaves the island, Calypso tells him, "You are a man who needs to control his fate, but you cannot control this. Give up the fight. Give up control. And live." 

At one time, Odysseus fully believed he was in control of his destiny and the destiny of his men. But after enduring trial after trial and losing himself completely, the voice of Calypso broke through, and he had to face the fact that almost everything was out of his control but that good things still awaited him. Control had been an illusion all along, and he had to relinquish his commitment to the illusion and accept things as they were before he could truly begin to live and before he could come home to himself. 

I also love the illusion of control and have spent an unreasonable amount of my life desperately trying to control things that are well outside my ability to control. This war within has robbed me of peace more times than I can count. I am only slowly learning to let things be what they are, and Calypso's words were a potent reminder for me as much as for Odysseus. If I want to come home to myself and my peace--if I really want to live--I must relinquish the illusion of control and stop fighting against what is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share some positive vibes